25 September, 2011

Crochet Hook Holder

There are things in life you don't know you need until you see them on Pinterest.  Like this Free Pattern: Star Hook Case from Alli Crafts.  I changed almost everything in her pattern/tutorial, but that picture was the inspiration for this project.

Having a crochet hook holder for crochet hooks is awesome!  I'm such a dork like that.  I had some leftover yarn from my nephew's blanket and since I happen to like those colors a lot, this happened.


I used a size K hook, crocheted an odd numbered chain, then turned, single crochet in first loop from hook, double crochet in next loop, single crochet in next loop, double crochet in next loop continue until the last loop and you should end with a double crochet stitch.  Chain one, turn, single crochet in first loop, double crochet in next loop, single crochet in next loop repeating until you end with a double crochet and repeat what you did for the previous row.  I believe this is called the pattern a Griddle Stitch.  I made it about 12 inches x10 inches with the blue.

I used a very bright green for the picot edging.  I can find this thing anywhere in the room now.  That was an unexpected bonus to the project!

For the ties I chained 101 stitches, turned, slip stitch in the first loop and continued the rest of the length of the chain with the slip stitch.  I tied it off and weaved in the loose bits.  I fed the tie through the third hole from the edge in the picot stitch.  I didn't secure it so I can move it later if I need to or slide it around differently.


I love it!  I had a cheap holder with a zipper, but it wouldn't fit my big hooks and my little ones would slide out a lot.  Now it's all secure and under control.  I can also keep my needles in there.  I like the look the of the Griddle stitch and it works really well to hold the hooks.  


If you have any questions, please ask away.  I'm more than happy to help.  

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. How do you do the picot edging? I have been looking for something to hold my hooks, my current holder doesn't have enough slots for all my hooks. and the ones I have found online are sewing patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sharra Lynn! I can't believe I forgot to post the edging. I use this pattern that I originally learned from a Lion Brand pattern.

    Picot Round
    *Ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sk 1 sc, sl st in next 2 sc, rep from * sk 1 sc more or less to end evenly. Fasten off and weave in end.

    I use that edging on almost all my plain blankets. It's really easy, goes fast and I think it adds a nice finishing touch.

    If you have any other questions, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete